Nettie Sumner began her creative career in London, working in graphic design and media for both corporates and agencies.
The desire to explore a lifestyle suitable for bringing up a family led Nettie to move to Bondi Beach, Australia where she developed her love for the outdoors. Surrounded by sea and the stunning Australian landscape she found inspiration that became the narrative for her wire and ceramic sculptures.
This bond between family and nature caused Nettie to delve into Biogenesis and the concept of life coming only from life and creating creative connections through generations.
Having successfully achieved a number of tertiary qualifications in marketing, business and management for her professional development, Nettie went on to achieve a Diploma of Ceramics in 2018 and is currently pursuing an Advanced Diploma in Ceramics at TAFE Ceramics Design Studio.
- Bridget Kennedy Project Space, North Sydney June 2019
- Artisans in The Gardens, Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney October 2019
- Arcadia Artists Exhibition, Galston November 2019
- Hazlehurst Regional Gallery Gymea, February 2020
Biogenesis embodies the idea that like produces like and as such all generations are connected – our behaviours, entanglements and beliefs are seeds that are sown and nurtured.
Seeds, pods, stamens and bulbs all inspire the processes and forms of my collections. I use both wire and clay to create works that explore the curiosity of nature’s reproduction in different environments.
My ceramic works include different clays for colours, textures and sources. Surface decoration includes a natural palette of dry glazes which resonate with the natural environment – both above and below ground. The knitted wire elements include silver plated copper wire and coloured enamelled wire. Rain, salt water, yoghurt and fire are used to create approriate patinas and texture.
- Kerrie Lowe Gallery Newtown, April 2019
- Art Gallery on Darling Balmain, February 2019
- Kerrie Lowe Gallery Newtown, December 2018
- The Downing Centre Sydney, 2018
- The Muse Gallery Ultimo, 2018
- Pro Hart Outback Art Prize, Finalist July 2019
- Advanced Diploma of Visual Arts (Ceramics) – 2019 Graduation
- Diploma of Ceramics, 2018
- Diploma of Marketing
- Diploma of Business
- Diploma of Retail Management
- Certificate IV Training & Assessment
Member of the Australian Ceramics Association